A bit behind on my roundups (I really should be doing week 3 now) but here’s what I wore for the second week of Me Made May 2016.
This week I have:
- Worn 5 items of me-made clothing, not including pyjamas or bras
- Made/finished making 0 new makes from my stash
- Worn 2 me-made items more than once
8th May – Denim tulip skirt
- Pattern: Tulip skirt by Sew Over It
- Fabric: A fairly heavy weight denim from John Lewis, plus the waistband facing and pockets are some fun turquoise Rowan cotton that I bought from Hobbycraft at some point.
- Other clothes: My emergency Breton top that I bought from H&M just before going to Paris a few weeks ago; my other two Breton tops were past the point of acceptability and I didn’t have time to run one up.
9th May – McCall’s M649 (view D) skirt
- Pattern: McCall’s M649 skirt pattern, view D. I do like this pattern as it’s a little bit more exciting than most work-style skirts with the pleating and the roomy pockets.
- Fabric: Navy synthetic something or other with some bright teardrop shapes on it – afraid I can’t be more specific as I bought it, along with the pattern, at a knitting and stitching fair at Westpoint Arena, Exeter, a few years ago.
- Other clothes: My cream/ivory smart top from Next that needs replacing, plus a navy cardigan from Debenhams.
10th May – Mimi blouse
- Pattern: Mimi blouse from Love at First Stitch by Tilly Walnes. I made a few adjustments to the pattern, including making it far smaller than suggested to give a closer fit and not putting the sleeves on.
- Fabric: A nice drapey black and white ikat style fabric from Guthrie and Ghani.
- Other clothes: My slim fit black trousers from Next and another Debenhams cardigan, this time in red!
11th May – return of the Clémence!
- Pattern: Clémence skirt from “Love at First Stitch” by Tilly Walnes (www.tillyandthebuttons.com), with some snazzy French seamed side pockets!
- Fabric: Cotton lawn from John Lewis (http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-cotton-floral-print-fabric-navy/p2595072).
- Other clothes: Pink and white spotty top from Marks and Spencer.
12th May – Kitten t-shirt and denim tulip skirt (see 8th May for skirt details)
- Pattern: Self-drafted from my grey H&M t-shirt that I wore on the 1st May. The pattern requires a few tweaks but it’s perfectly wearable!
- Fabric: Black and white cat jersey from Guthrie and Ghani – she still has the fabric!
- Other clothes: Black cardigan from Debenhams.
13th May – I really do love that skirt…
14th May – repeat of the denim tulip skirt
- Other clothes: If I recall correctly I wore my pink and white spotty top from Marks and Spencer as seen above.
- This week the repeated items have started to creep in, especially with respect to my navy Clémence skirt – I clearly love this skirt far too much! I think having some good basics that go with several other things is a good thing though; as you might have read previously on the blog I have had a think in the past about building something resembling a capsule wardrobe. I’ve not stuck to the rules exactly but it definitely has made me more aware of having clothes that are adaptable to several outfits.
- I’m still not finding it too much of a struggle to wear me-made. My main limitation has been with tops, especially casual ones. As you might have notices over the two weeks so far I’ve yet to wear a pair of jeans. Now, I only own a single pair, but pretty much unless I wear my cat t-shirt I don’t have any me-made items that will go with jeans. I think I should investigate casual tops a bit more, as that will make my me-made wardrobe a bit more versatile.
- The second part of my pledge has been pretty much ignored this week. As you might have seen on Instagram (where all these images are posted with a bit more information about my day) I’ve been here there and everywhere with work, so sewing definitely hasn’t been on the top of my priority list. However, as of today (21st) I move in less than two weeks and my fabric pile is still pretty hefty so I should put a bit more focus into this part as I’m quickly running out of time!