So we’re now one week through #mmmay16 and I have to say so far it’s going well! This week I have:
- Worn 8 items of me-made clothing, not including pyjamas or bras
- Made/finished making 2 new makes from my stash
- Worn 0 me-made items more than once
1st May – Red Clémence skirt
- Pattern: Clémence skirt from “Love at First Stitch” by Tilly Walnes (www.tillyandthebuttons.com) with some snazzy French seamed side pockets!
- Fabric: Cotton lawn type fabric bought on Goldhawk Road a couple of summers ago.
- Other clothes: Grey t-shirt from H&M.
2nd May – Salme pineapple camisole (blogged about here)
- Pattern: Salme double layered camisole (http://www.salmesewingpatterns.com)
- Fabric: Some kind of flimsy, translucent synthetic (can you tell I’m not a fabric expert?), again from Goldhawk Road.
- Other clothes: Black cardigan from Debenhams, jeans from H&M.
3rd May – Spotty work top
- Pattern: Simplicity 6035 view C which I think might have come with a magazine (http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/6035/).
- Fabric: Feathered dot cotton lawn from Guthrie and Ghani (they still have it and at time of writing it’s on sale!).
- Other clothes: Red blazer from Wallis, black trousers and my trusty brown winter coat from Next, hopefully consigned to the cupboard until the autumn now! (I took this photo at about 6.30am on a train to Manchester, hence the lack of other visible clothing!)
4th May – Navy Clémence skirt
- Pattern: Clémence skirt from “Love at First Stitch” by Tilly Walnes (www.tillyandthebuttons.com), again with some snazzy French seamed side pockets!
- Fabric: Cotton lawn from John Lewis (http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-cotton-floral-print-fabric-navy/p2595072).
- Other clothes: Black cardigan from Debenhams, cream top from Next (that desperately needs replacing – thinking I might try and draft my own pattern from it and replicate it as I wear it quite a lot).
5th May – another Simplicity 6035
- Pattern: Another Simplicity 6035 view C.
- Fabric: Some lovely very lightweight cotton lawn from M is For Make – I think the fabric itself is from Atelier Brunette?
- Other clothes: Navy cardigan from Debenhams and navy trousers from Next.
6th May – New Luna pants (blogged about here)!
- Pattern: Luna pants by Made by Rae.
- Fabric: Cachette cotton lawn by Atelier Brunette, bought from Anna Ka Bazaar in Paris.
- Other clothes: Pink and white spotty top from Marks and Spencer (the label says it’s red but my eyes (and this picture apparently) are adamant that it’s pink).
7th May – Foxy dress and Black Archer shirt
- Pattern: All my own! This is the pattern that I made when I attended Zoe’s Copy your Clothes workshop at T&TB HQ last March, based off a H&M dress that still lingers in my wardrobe. The original dress has 3/4 sleeves, a gathered waistband and no pockets, so this version is a bit different.
- Fabric: Foxy ponte roma from Girl Charlee that I got as a birthday present.
- Other clothes: None as it was blooming hot yesterday!
Black Archer shirt
- Pattern: Archer shirt from Grainline Studio, view A.
- Fabric: Some black cotton from Plush Addict.
- Other clothes: Black trousers from Next.
- So far this challenge hasn’t been too difficult, even with a sudden change in the weather halfway through the week. I’m definitely building up a fairly substantial wardrobe now and being more considerate of whether things go together or not, so that makes it easier to wear my me-made items on a regular basis.
- I’ve begun progressing on the second half of my pledge to use up or give away my ever-increasing fabric stash. This week I’ve finished sewing my Luna pants and made the foxy dress from scratch, eliminating two pieces of fabric from the pile! I’ve got a few adjustments I’d like to make to the Luna pants now I’ve worn them (such as tightening the waist elastic) and I’ve yet to fold over and sew the arm openings on the foxy dress, but I was desperate to wear it yesterday with Leicester winning the Premiership… I’ll blog about it once I’m done!
If you want to see each of my headless selfies as they happen I’m posting all of my pictures up on Instagram (@Jemeter) so please check them out there.
Happy me-made Maying everyone!